Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Oakland's Yoenis Cespedes wins the Home Run Derby...but why was he even in the competition?



Last night the balls were flying out of Citi Field in New York as the best of the best home run hitters in baseball were showcased in the 2013 Home Run Derby. I enjoyed watching because during this event, unless a guy from your team is in it you want all the guys to do well. Last night's winner was Oakland A's Cuban slugger Yoenis Cespedes. He put on a clinic on how to hit the long ball for sure. 17 home runs in the first round, none in the second round because he didn't need to hit any to make the finals, and then beat out Washington Nationals phenom Bryce Harper 9-8 in the finals. It definitely was a sight to behold watching all those home runs leave the park last night.

But I have a problem...a BIG problem...with Cespedes winning the Home Run Derby last night. I don't care that he plays for the Rangers' rival Oakland A's. In fact, I like seeing the guys from our division do well and win this event. But my problem with Cespedes winning the Derby is this...HE'S NOT AN ALL STAR!!! That's right folks. He was not selected to the All-Star team this year. So why in the world is this man competing in an All-Star competition when he isn't an All-Star. That doesn't make any sense to me. If he wasn't good enough to play in tonight's game, he shouldn't have been good enough to compete in last night's Home Run Derby. I don't give a rat's behind that he hit a total of 28 home runs last night with the majority of them being moon shots. He shouldn't have even been allowed on the field. So to me...the real winner in last night's Home Run Derby was Bryce Harper by default. I think Chris Davis and Michael Cuddyer (both participants made it to the second round last night) were robbed of a chance to face Harper. I would have loved to see Davis vs. Harper in the finals. Heck...Cuddyer was hitting some awesome shots too so a Cuddyer v. Harper finals would have been exciting too. Cespedes shouldn't have been allowed to participate and therefore to me isn't the true Home Run Derby Champion.


No comments:

Post a Comment