Sunday, June 23, 2013

The launch of this blog and my opinions on former Texas Ranger and current Ranger fan nemesis...Josh Hamilton

Well now...I'm new to this whole blogging thing, but I'm very excited about this. I've wanted to do this for a very long time, but being that I'm not involved on a daily basis with sports other than being a fan I'm not anywhere near the sports industry. I've been in radio for a long time now, but it's always been in country music radio. But starting Sunday, June 30th I will be taking over the production department of a small station which is flipping their format to become an ESPN affiliate. I can't say what station just yet because the flip hasn't occurred, but I will say once the flip has happened (if you know me personally then you know the station I'm sure). I listen pretty much all day to 105.3 The Fan, even tho my favorite show "RAGE" was taken off the air. (Richie Whitt and Sybil Summers didn't deserve to be fired. Greggo got what he deserved. If you want to know what I'm talking about, go check out www.dfwsportatorium.com)  

I have tried for a while to get a job with The Fan, but the good Lord above had other plans. I'm very excited for the opportunity He has blessed me with at this ESPN affiliate. (Just an FYI to any and all readers of this blog...I have reached out to Richie Whitt about working for him on his website. If he ever says yes, this blog will be no longer. Just throwing that out there.) So with all that said, maybe if you read this blog you might take my opinions serious. I don't mind or care if you don't agree with me. That's what's great about this country. You can agree or disagree with me. I'm ok with that. But this blog will be my opinions. I know I titled my blog "The Line Drive Report" but I will cover all sports and all different kinds of topics that are sports related.

Driving home from work this evening, while listening to the Fan Jam on 105.3 The Fan, I was trying to think of the perfect thing to write about as my first blog entry. Then when I got home, it hit me...Josh Hamilton. That is the perfect topic to start my blog out with. Right? I mean I was the biggest Josh Hamilton supporter you'd ever want to meet. I was his biggest fan. I still am a fan of him, but not quite as big as before. When he was a Texas Ranger I stood up for him against friends, I defended him against people who talked down about him, and as a fan I stood up and wore his jersey proudly when people said he was a hypocrite and a liar. Well...I still am a fan of the man. I still think he is a good guy. I believe that everyone makes mistakes and only God can truly forgive us of our wrong doings. That night in 2008 in Arizona, was Hamilton wrong? Absolutely! That night before the 2012 season at Sherlock's Pub in Dallas, was Hamilton wrong? Without a doubt! But do I believe that he should be hung by a hangman's rope for screwing up? Not a chance. If making a mistake was just cause for hanging someone, there wouldn't be enough trees on this earth for all of us. Josh Hamilton is a good man just trying his best to live by his faith. He screws up just like I do, just like you do, just like all of us do. The only thing I think he needs to do is learn how to just shut up. He says so many things that are unnecessary. There maybe truth to them, but they need to be kept quiet. That's my only beef with him now.

The weekend of April 5-7, 2013 Hamilton made his return to the Ballpark In Arlington. He deserved the boos. For sure. I mean as a sports fan you hate to see a fan favorite sign with the rival team. So yes when the Los Angeles Angels came to town that weekend, Hamilton deserved to be booed. But the reception he got from Rangers fans was pathetic. He didn't deserve the hate chants, his wife and kids being cussed out, etc. That was too far. I was glad I wasn't at the ballpark for any of those three games. It wasn't right nor was it pretty. He is a human being for God's sake. People need to grow up and realize that baseball is a business. He didn't resign with the Rangers because the Rangers didn't make him a good enough offer. He went with what he thought would be best for him and his family. Think of it this way...if you worked for a company on contract and your contract was coming to an end. Would you stay with your company for less money or go with another company who was offering more money? If you felt going to the new company was better for your family, you'd go too. So even though I didn't like that he signed with the Angels, I didn't blame him.

I wish nothing but good will on Josh Hamilton personally. I think personally, he is a good man. Now with that being said, am I glad he is hitting .207 with 10 home runs and 25 RBIs as of June 23rd? Abso...freakin'...lutely I am. I want all the Angel players to hit that bad. But just because I'm glad he is playing poorly for the Angels doesn't mean I want bad things to happen to him like others have expressed on Facebook and Twitter. People call him a liar and a hypocrite because of what has been reported in the media. But let me ask this question for you to think about. Do you know the man personally? No you don't. Just like I don't know the man personally. For all I know, he might be exactly what the media portrays him to be and what his negative naysayers claim he is. But in the same breath, he might be exactly what I say he is...a good man just trying to live right who slips up and messes up like everyone else is. So when the Angels come to town again on July 29-31, leave the man be. He has suffered the boos his first time to town. Just go about your business of cheering the Rangers on instead of being soooooo worried about booing Josh Hamilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment