Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Movie Watching Is A Sport

One of my favorite things in sports is none other than sports movies. Like Gavin Dawson and Chris Arnold from the G-Bag Nation on 105.3 The Fan always say..."Movie watching is a sport." Well I have compiled a list of the top five best sports movies of all time (or at least that I've actually seen. I know there are sports movies out there that I've never seen. Leave a comment with your favorite sports movies. If I haven't seen it, I want to.) So let's get this top five list started shall we.

5. RUDY: "Rudy is a 1993 American sports film directed by David Anspaugh. It is an account of the life of Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, who harbored dreams of playing football at the University of Notre Dame despite significant obstacles." This is one of my favorite movies. The ultimate underdog story at it's finest. My favorite scene in the whole movie has to be when all the players on the Fighting Irish come into Coach Dan Devine's office and lay their jerseys down on his desk in support of Rudy. That scene makes me want to stand up and yell "Take that sucker!!!" Great movie.



4. SECRETARIAT: "Secretariat is a 2010 biographical sports drama film produced and released by Walt Disney Pictures and directed by Randall Wallace. The film chronicles the life of thoroughbred race horse Secretariat, winner of the Triple Crown in 1973." I am a big fan of sports movies that are about real life events that happened when I wasn't alive. Growing up, I heard stories from my father about watching the Belmont and watching Secretariat win the final race that nobody thought he could. Very good movie.




3. FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS: "Friday Night Lights is a 2004 sports drama film, directed by Peter Berg, which documents the coach and players of a high school football team and the Texas city of Odessa that supports and is obsessed with them." This movie was really one that I could relate to more than any other sports movie I've ever seen. I grew up in a small Texas town and played Texas High School football. I completely understood what the players of Odessa Permian went through. You see...my junior year of high school our team made it to the playoffs for the first time in several years. We won our first playoff game, which was the first win for our school in almost a decade. The next morning...all over town all we heard was how we were going to win state. We had won a very hard fought, one point game and now all of a sudden the entire town expected us to win state. We didn't. So this movie definitely hit home for me. Great film for sure.


2. MIRACLE: "Miracle is a 2004 American biographical sports film about the United States men's hockey team, led by head coach Herb Brooks, that won the gold medal in the 1980 Winter Olympics." This movie gave me more American Pride than any other movie I've ever seen. To watch what those college kids did to not only beat the hated Soviet Union, but to earn the respect of the entire world spoke volumes to anyone who saw this movie. I still swell up with American pride when I watch this movie.




1. FIELD OF DREAMS: "Field of Dreams is a 1989 American fantasy-drama film directed by Phil Alden Robinson, who also wrote the screenplay, adapting W. P. Kinsella's novel Shoeless Joe." This movie was where I learned a lot of my baseball history from, which is why this movie tops my list of the top sports films I've ever seen. I learned through this movie about the 1919 Black Sox scandal and various other old time baseball players. It's where I learned how much Ty Cobb was hated when he played and what baseball was like in the early 1900s. I can...and have...watch this movie over and over again.




So there you have it. My top five best sports films of all time...that I've seen. Let me know what you think of the list and what your favorite sports films are. Movie watching is a sport. (All movie synopsis are from the website www.imdb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment