Tuesday, May 15, 2018

NHL Conference Finals


Well...I'll be the first to admit that I was pretty far off on what teams would get to the Conference Finals of the NHL Playoffs. I did correctly predict that the Vegas Golden Knights would knock off the San Jose Sharks in six games. That I was correct on. But the other three series...way off.

Now yes I predicted correctly pick Tampa Bay over Boston, but I said in six games and they dominated the series, knocking off the Bruins in five games. So that leaves us with our Conference Finals. In the Western Conference, it's the Vegas Golden Knights (an expansion team) going up against the Winnipeg Jets (who won a playoff series this year for the first time in team history). In the Eastern Conference, it's the Washington Capitals (notorious for not being able to win in the playoffs) going up against the Tampa Bay Lightning (the only team in the conference finals that has experience and a Stanley Cup championship under their belts). Now I know the series have already started (I have a regular full time job so I wasn't able to write this blog before the two series started). As of the writing of this blog, the Vegas Golden Knights and Winnipeg Jets are tied at a game a piece while the Washington Capitals have a 2-0 series lead over Tampa Bay. So what are my predictions for the rest of these series?


Western Conference: Vegas Golden Knights vs. Winnipeg Jets - Vegas wins in 7 games.
I'll be honest...I didn't expect much from the Jets when the playoffs started. I mean I thought they might get out of the first round, but knowing their history it's kind of understandable that I wouldn't pick them to beat the defending Western Conference champion Nashville Predators. But they have surprised me in every aspect of their game in these playoffs. Despite all of that, I still believe the Vegas Golden Knights will continue their unbelievable first year in the league and will become the first ever expansion team to reach the Stanley Cup Finals in their first year. Every aspect of the Golden Knights is extremely good. Scoring, goaltending, defense...it's all VERY good. This series is already showing that it's going to be extremely good. But I think Vegas will take the series in seven games.



Eastern Conference: Washington Capitals vs. Tampa Bay Lightning - Washington wins in 6 games.
Over the years, the Capitals always seem to have one of the best teams during the regular season, but can't seem to put it together in the playoffs. You can't say that about this year's Capitals team. Not at all. Had I been able to write this article before the series began, I would have picked Tampa Bay. But for the Capitals to go into central Florida and take both games on Tampa Bay's home ice has shown me otherwise. I think Tampa Bay will get a couple wins in these playoffs, but Washington has been too dominate in the series and I think will take the series in six games.


Stanley Cup Finals prediction: Vegas Golden Knights vs. Washington Capitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment