Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Dallas Stars Media Member Experience

The Dallas Stars played their first home playoff game since 2008 last night, a 3-0 shutout win over the Anaheim Ducks. While the Stars have dominated in almost every aspect of this series, they still trail the Ducks 2 games to 1. However, they definitely picked up the momentum last night with Kari Lehtonen's 37-save shutout. It was a big win for the goalie and a big win for the organization.

But today's blog isn't just about the Stars big win last night. It's also about my very first experience getting to be a member of the media covering a playoff hockey game. I got to tell you...it was absolutely awesome. After I got my media pass, I made my way to the elevator to go up to the press box only to realize that I'm riding up the elevator with the voice of the Dallas Stars, the legendary Ralph Strangis. That's when it really sank in that I was actually getting to cover a Dallas Stars playoff game from the press box. I get up to the press box and find my seat...which was on the front row of the press box. As you can see from the picture below that I had a great seat for the game.


I decided to go check out the media dining hall before the game got started. I mean...DUH...who wouldn't want to go find free food??? It was awesome. I did feel a little intimidated sitting there with other media guys who knew a lot more about hockey than I do. But then they began talking Big 12 College Football and I was right in the middle of the conversation for sure. It's almost time to drop the puck, so I made my way back to my seat. As a member of the media, you are not allowed to cheer for your team in the press box. It keeps arguments and fights from occurring. I get it. But when Jamie Benn scored at the 19:25 mark of the 1st period, my excitement got away from me for a minute and I raised my arm up celebrating. As my arm is halfway in the air, I caught myself and quickly grabbed my hat trying to make it look like I was just adjusting my hat. I'm pretty sure anyone that saw me didn't buy that I was just adjusting my hat. But after that I did very well. The next time that I had to really be very professional when I didn't want to was during the 2nd period. I got up from my seat to get a bottle water (yes it was free too). As I was walking to the mini fridge, I passed Dallas Stars' great Jere Lehtinen. As a fan, I nearly lost it. It was so cool to see him in the press box. But as a professional, I had to be cool, get my water, and go back to my seat. But it was cool to see a Stars legend like that in the press box.


After the game, I got to go into the locker room and interview some players about the game. It was just how I expected it to be. There was a crowd around Trevor Daley at his locker so...I joined the crowd. I noticed at his locker with only 1 or 2 other reporters was goalie Kari Lehtonen. I got to thinking "He just shut out the top team in the Western Conference for his first playoff win and playoff shutout. I should be talking to him." So I was able to interview the top star of the game for about 10 minutes. Then I was able to get an interview with defensemen and enforcer Antoine Roussel. All three guys were awesome and very nice to this first time reporter.

All in all, it was probably the best night I've ever had in my radio career. I've always wanted to cover a playoff game from the press box and interview players from the locker room. I got that chance last night. I will be doing it again this Wednesday night as the Dallas Stars will be looking to even the series at 2 games apiece. Follow me on Twitter @linedrivereport or find my Facebook page "The Line Drive Report." I will be live updating from the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment